What’s Happening At Floyd Light Middle School?
Keep up-to-date with our Floyd Light Falcons newsletter. See below for our most recent newsletter(s).
The Weekly Floyd Light Community Newsletter
VISION: Content, self-motivated students who take initiative for success.
MISSION: Providing a safe, engaging, supportive, and rigorous learning environment.
February 19, 2018
Volume 4, Issue 23
- Student Safety: We are all aware of the horrific school shooting that occurred last week in Parkland, Florida. The bigger tragedy is that these shootings have become all too common, but we will never allow that to dull our awareness of their impacts on people around us, or to get lax in our own safety preparedness. Here are a few strategies from the National Association of School Psychologists:
• Reassure children that they are safe.
• Make time to talk and to listen
• Keep your explanations developmentally appropriate.
• Review safety procedures.
• Observe children’s emotional state.
• Limit television viewing of these events.
• Maintain a normal routine.
Here at Floyd Light Student Safety is our number one priority: (1) we practice safety drills several times a year, (2) we have revised our Crisis Plan, (3) we have updated our Emergency Handbooks, (4) and, most importantly, we strive to make Floyd Light a welcoming Environment for ALL our students and families. Also attached are more details for families titled ‘Talking to Children about Violence’.
- Book Fair and Box Tops: The most important skill we can teach our children is reading. Come to the “Funny Pets” Scholastic Book during conferences and let your child chose a book they want to read. The book fair will be open on Wed., Feb. 28 and Thurs., March 1 so come visit it before or after your conference.
Box Tops! We need you to help us collect box tops. Get your relatives and neighbors to help too! Each box top gives our school ten cents. This money is used to help fund our new makers class and our library needs.
- Scot’s Angels Results: As a school we raised over $660 from our Penny Drive – OUTSTANDING! Scot’s Angels is a DDHS club that raises money each year for a family or two with extreme medical needs. This year’s recipient was a former Floyd Light student named Jasmine. Though Jasmine lost her battle with brain cancer in December, we are still collecting donations for her family’s medical expenses. Floyd Light’s generosity is seen and appreciated!
- Book Fair Volunteers: We would love volunteers for our Scholastic Book Fair. It’s happening during parent/teacher conferences: Wednesday, February 28th from 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM and Thursday, March 1 from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Phaedra Adams is coordinating the volunteers and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call or text at 503-784-8367. Thanks so much!
- Multicultural Night: Thursday, March 22nd from 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM. This is a FREE event! Help us celebrate our diverse Floyd Light community with performances, food samples, activities and prizes. Represent your culture and receive an extra prize ticket if dress in something worn by your culture.
Food Pantry: The Food Pantry is Tuesday, February 20th from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the Cafeteria.